Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Andhra Chicken Korma


AndhraChickenKorma3

The other day I was wondering... 'Am I blogging what I cook?' or 'Am I cooking for blogging?'
I guess this question arises, in almost every food blogger.
My hubs started complaining. I don't deny that he is the one behind my blog with constant encouragement, my best critic and adviser. But at times when lunch or dinner is ready, and I jump upstairs with my dishes and props, saying "Just a min hon, I will be just right back, I need to take a picture", he gets upset. He says you are cooking just because of blogging. Hmm... well... what can I say?
My last post was 6 days back, and every day I was thinking about something special to cook so that I can post again. Does every one have the question "What to post next?" hovering in your mind all time? or is it just me?

Coming to the recipe, when I went grocery shopping the other day to buy chicken, I had some other recipe in mind. But I could'nt get all the ingredients. So I made this simple Chicken Korma my grandma used to make when we were kids.


AndhraChickenKorma2


What you need:
Chicken : 1 Kg, cut into bite sized pieces
Onion : 1 big, finely chopped
Jeera: 1 tsp
Curry leaves : a few
Ginger garlic paste : 2 Tbsp
Green chillies : 3 or 4, slit lengthwise
Lime juice : 1 Tbsp
Red Chilli powder : 2 tsp
Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
Salt : to taste
Water / Chicken Stock : 1 cup

Masala powder:
Cloves: 8 to 10
Cinnamon: 2 inch piece
Coriander seeds: 3 Tbsp
Cardamom seeds: 1 tsp

Roast and grind to fine powder

Ground Paste:
Poppy seeds: 3 Tbsp, soaked in warm water for 1 hour
Coconut: 1/2 cup, grated
  1. Heat oil in a wide thick bottomed pan.
  2. Add Jeera and curry leaves.
  3. Add onions and fry till the sides turn brown.
  4. Add green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Fry for 3 to 4 mins.
  5. Add turmeric and red chilli powder. Fry for 2 more mins.
  6. Add poppy seeds and coconut paste. Fry till it emits nice aroma.
  7. Add the prepared masala powder. Mix well.
  8. Stir in salt.
  9. Add the chicken pieces. Cook on high without lid, till chicken pieces turn white.
  10. Add 1 cup of water or chicken stock. Cover and reduce heat to low.
  11. Cook for around 15 to 20 mins, or till done.
  12. Add lemon juice and adjust salt.
  13. Serve hot with Steamed Rice or Dosa or Garelu/Vada.

AndhraChickenKorma1

18 comments:

Finla said...

Wowo that kurma looks super super delicious.

Ramya said...

chicken looks delicious

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

superbly delicious.

Unknown said...

Luv this version of ur chicken kurma...looks super yumm

Tanu said...

Super like...For whatever reason u cook and blog it does help us to try out new dishes which are tasty...so for either reasons keep cooking and blogging :)

Tanu said...

Wish u stayed somewhere nearby so that i could just come home and eat whenever i got tempted...can`t really wait to cook :)

Usha said...

Korma looks delicious! I remember even my grandma & mom using poppy seeds few years back and nowadays everyone has stopped using it. I do add it occasionally when I am bored of the chicken curry I make, without poppy seeds.

There was a time when I use to cook specifically for the blog. I even use to dream about what to cook for the blog..LOL! Right now I am not in that cooking for the blog phase.. I post a recipe when I have free time.. :)

kankana said...

I could relate to every thing you said! Sometimes when the photos doesn't come out right .. i keep clicking and food gets cold and worst is when I make that dish again just for photo :) This is looking so yum and chicken legs are my fav anytime.

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, makes me hungry,cant take my eyes from ur fabulous clicks..

Tadka Pasta said...

Yeah, the pic taking thing does get the family riled sometimes..and it is so funny - my 8 year old keeps asking me why I'm not taking pics of some dishes..loved that chicken kurma. So much flavor, it looks really tasty!

Kalyani said...

wow looks delicious and yummy !!!! Thanks for visiting my space ... u too have a wonderful blog ...... following u ......

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

truly irresistable..
first time to your space..
love ur space..
very lively presentation with great clicks..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
btw..in my home too, the same prob arises, my son goes restless, if I took my camera for a pic, before the dish reaches the dining table..;)
Tasty Appetite

Aruna Manikandan said...

First time here....
U have a wonderful space with delicious recipes
glad to follow u :)

Visit my space when u find time.
ArunaManikandan
http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com

kranthi said...

hiii,while gooking and preparing for phot even i have the same question in my mind.nice blog.keep posting.

Medifast Coupons said...

Very nice sounding korma recipe, thanks so much, look forward to trying.

Anonymous said...

Chicken Korma from Andhra is truly delicious and spicy.

Dori said...

Mmmmm, this is getting me hungry!

Indian restaurant Sandbach said...

I spend most of my time online and I think this gave me the opportunity to view stuffs necessary for future use and ideas needed for my own development.